Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Years Double!

I completed the New Years Double...not in the way I expected, but I completed the back to back race challenge so I'm happy!

Here's the story:

I was emotionally upset about a personal issue so my head really wasn't in it. I knew I wanted to maybe walk one of the races so I chose to walk the NYE Half day because I wanted to save my legs and my running mileage started over on Jan 1st so I wanted those miles to count. SO-I walked the first day. It was long and boring, and really cold and rainy. I was freezing, soaking wet and upset. It pretty much sucked. But I was happy to get pt 1 of the awesome medal. The way it works is if you complete any combination of the races in two days, you get a big challenge plate. So I got the first medal. That night was terrible, the issue got worse and I was devastated. I certainly was not in the mood to go back for day 2. I was almost convinced not to go back.

I woke up crying. I was crying as I was putting on my clothes thinking, "I'm not going." But as I kept thinking it, I continued to get dressed. I laced up my shoes, dried my tears and got in the car. I drove and drove and just made myself go. Once I got started, I felt a little better. My energy was a little better and I was keeping up a decent pace so I felt great about things. It was very interesting starting a race with hurt feet. A callous on one of my toes was moderately painful but bearable and I thought I'd be ok. So I was going along on my race, and at mile 5, the callous split and caused horrible pain! It was AWFUL!!! I took off my shoe, and it felt better to just walk barefoot so I did that for awhile until I reached a med station. The lady tried to help me but every time she'd put pressure on it, it'd make it worse so there was nothing they could do. I knew at that point that I had a problem. There was no way I could walk barefoot for 8 more miles. I was worried about it getting infected if it got too dirty. So I had to quit. I walked across the parking lot straight to the finish. BUT-the good news...since I completed the 5K distance, I was able to get a 5K medal and that completed my two medals so I could get the challenge plate! I didn't complete two halfs like I wanted, but I did complete two races and at the end of the day, I'm proud of myself. I'm proud of myself for going when I was SO upset, and proud of the medal. It's HUGE!

Here's the medal: YAY!!!

And a closeup of the medal: DOUBLE YAY!!!

And here are the shirts: I *LOVE* them and am so pumped that they give you a short sleeved and a long sleeved!

My running girls said they want to do back to back 5K's for next year so we're going to do that together! I'm SO excited!!!

And the best news...the personal issue is resolved and now I feel good about things again. SO-if I wouldn't have gone, it would have been pointless because I would have no medal, and nothing to be upset about. SO glad I went. Running is therapy.

Goodbye 2012! 2013 is going to be even better!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment