Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Making a Plan!

I have been talking to one of my running friends about making a plan for my last 5 weeks of training. She suggested that I incorporate speed training once a week, while getting in 2 other runs, our Saturday run, and some form of cross training. This works out to be 4 times a week of exercise. That seems doable. Here's what speed training looks like...I am going to be doing mile repeats, or in my case...half mile repeats. They look like this:

5 min walk
1/2 mile run/walk at 30 seconds faster than desired race pace
2-3 min walk to catch my breath
1/2 mile run/walk at 30 seconds faster than desired race pace
2-3 min walk to catch my breath

This set would be 2 mile repeats.

Since I have 5 more weeks of training to go, this is the schedule of speed training I have to go:

2 mile repeats
4 mile repeats
6 mile repeats
8 mile repeats
10 mile repeats

That's as far as I'm going to go and it should put me in good shape for the race.

Here's what's interesting. I am so much faster on a treadmill than I am outside, so I'm going to need to do my speedwork outside. That should kill me since it's so much harder to go fast outside, yet I have to be 30 seconds faster than race pace. It'll be good for me, though and I feel good about it.

I'm so grateful to have found my focus again. This time last year, I pretty much gave up and ran that race rusty and with no confidence. This year, it will NOT be the case. I am determined to see AT LEAST a 6:59:59! CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOR ME!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment