Sunday, July 1, 2012

2010 Big D Half Marathon

This race is extra special to me because it was my very first half-marathon. And my very first race, for that matter. I did a half way before I did any 5K, 10K or anything else. I had trained on my own up to 11 miles and I was ready. I was very nervous and had no idea what to expect. I remember being clueless as to what to do at races. As soon as we got there, I asked this lady, "So we just stand around until we start? We don't check-in?" HAHA! And then right before the start, I remember standing in a large group of runners, feeling like I was going to throw up, and telling myself, "You can do this, You can do this." It was TERRIFYING! I did all kinds of stupid stuff in my first half, like start in the front. Oh and then giving it my all for 5 miles and then crashing at mile 6. Gotta love being a new runner, wasn't quite sure how to pace myself back then. And I didn't know how to keep my adrenaline from controlling me. I've learned a lot since then. BUT-my finish was still great.


I cried, of course and my friend Christina and my mom were there to greet me at the finish line.




Then I met a group of my supportive friends at El Fenix for a celebration dinner!





The medal sucked but they redeemed themselves by having a rockin' medal the following year. So overall, a great experience. I thought that'd be it. NOPE! If I had only known just how addictive those races are! :0)


No comments:

Post a Comment